Thursday 13 January 2011

DOCTORS IN CLOVER

I read with some amusement of the surprise and even horror that's being expressed over the 'discovery' that some NHS medical consultants are milking the system to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds. Having been a senior NHS manager, I don't have the rose-coloured glasses that many do when discussing this national treasure.

As a senior manager, I was paid a salary, a reasonable though far from excessive one, which was to compensate me for doing my job, no matter what hours I worked. My salary was significantly less than that of a consultant and there was NO OVERTIME. For doctors, it is not like this.

Most medical consultants work an arcane system of 'sessions' 11 sessions of 3½ hours each equating to full time. Many consultants choose to limit their NHS contracts to 10 sessions, making them in the jargon, 'maximum part time'. This status allows them to carry out as much private work as they like as long as they fulfill their basic NHS committments. Very recent consultant appointees work a basic 10 'programmed activities' (more jargon), each of 4 hours and, if they engage in private work, they 'may' be required to also provide an additional 1 period of 'programmed activity' to their Trust, paid at their basic rate. Beyond either arrangement, consultants are free to negotiate whatever additional payments they can for working extra hours.

The clear difference between the contract I had and that of medical consultants is that mine was for doing a job while their's is for working a very specific number of hours. Egged on by their Trade Union, the BMA, many are far from slow to exploit their employers for all their worth - the simple fact is that while their are many good and committed consultants, there are many who are mean-spirited and avaricious in the extreme. 

On one occasion, years ago, I was telephoned at home by a general surgeon who'd been asked to go into the hospital to see a patient. He didn't think it was 'his job' as a more junior doctor should have taken the responsibility, however, the hospital was busy and the juniors were all fully occupied. Doctor 'X' told me, somewhat aggressively, that he was prepared to go in but only if I agreed to him being paid £250 for doing so. Even though he lived no more than ½ mile from the hospital and was the on-call consultant, I had little choice but to agree as I'd been told the patient needed urgent medical attention. Although all this was at around 2 in the morning, I received nothing for my part as I was simply the 'on-call Senior Manager' and it was part of my job.

I've known other consultants to query an apparent discrepancy of a few coppers in their travel or other expenses, and quibble over pence in the calculation of pay ward arrears. Be in no doubt, there are some very unpleasant people in the medical profession. All that said, I've also met many other consultants who were the exact opposite; these would treat their job as a job and not adopt the hidebound attitude of some of their colleagues. These were the doctors who would put the patient first, always, and regardless of their own inconvenience.

The moral of this story really is simple; if the system allows exploitation, their are always mean-minded and greedy people who will take advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment