Wednesday 15 December 2010

BOAT PEOPLE

Having read that a boat load of potential asylum seekers has foundered off Christmas Island, I have to wonder what it was doing there. As I understand it, the people were refugees from Iran and Iraq; what on earth were they doing near Christmas Island ?

Under international law, asylum seekers are required to seek help in the first available safe haven, so what was going on ? These people have caused a huge amount of trouble to residents of Christmas Island, many of whom risked their lives in order to try to save passengers from the sea. Their irresponsible behaviour should be condemned and they should be returned from whence they came in order to deter similar lunacy in the future.

Of course, I don't expect many people to agree with me, but then the modern world has become so soft and fluffy that we're all expected to express nothing but caring words. Well, I think it's time we woke up and got real so don't expect caring words from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment