Tuesday 30 October 2012

WE NEED POLICE OFFICERS, NOT POLITICAL COMMISSIONERS.

With little more than 2 weeks to go until we're expected to vote for our sparkly new 'Police Commissioners' I've still seen almost nothing about them. Why we need them and exactly what they'll do remain mysteries. The only thing that appears clear is that the political parties, Labour and Conservative anyway, have hijacked the process and we are heading inexorably towards politicised police services across our once free nation.
 
In my area, I've been able to discover, purely by my own efforts, that we have 3 candidates; a Labour councillor from the nearby city, a conservative former senior RAF officer and an Asian man of indeterminate origin who's standing as an independent. None of these has any connection with my immediate area and, as far as I can tell, none has any experience of policing, crime and justice or anything else that would render them qualified to oversee a police service. If this is the pattern across the country, one fears for the future of our law enforcement.
 
I won't be voting for any of those on offer to me as I fail to see what benefits either they or their role will bring to me and the rest of the local population. One rather thinks that their impact, whoever wins, is more likely to be negative than positive, with yet another tier of expensive bureaucracy added to our already grossly overblown public administration.
 
I, and most other sane people, want to see more police on the beat, not Police Commissioners warming seats in plush offices and surrounded by hordes of fawning staff ; why does no one in authority understand this ?

No comments:

Post a Comment