Monday 22 October 2012

WHO WANTS POLICE COMMISSIONERS ?

I've heard today that I should receive a leaflet in the post telling me all about the elections for 'Police and Crime Commissioners' which are due to take place on 15th November. I can't wait !
 
Thus far, I have been told, purely through the media, that these unnecessary jobs are to be created and that we, the people, will have the joy of voting for them. I have no idea whose names have been put forward in my area nor, indeed, even what 'my area' is. I do know, again through the media, that those applying for the taxpayer funded jobs include a whole managerie of former Members of Parliament and other political hangers-on; in other words, the whole process has been hijacked by the political elite who see this as just another way to sponge off of the man in the street.
 
Exactly what these individuals will do that will benefit us is a mystery. Why we should be 'politicising' our police in this way is a mystery. Why we need yet another layer of political bureaucracy is a mystery. Why we should be inventing this expensive nonsense at a time of financial stringency is a mystery. The only thing that is not a mystery is the fact that few people are truly aware of what is going on and even fewer actually care.
 
*IF* I was ever to want a Crime Commissioner, I would not want anyone who had a prior career in politics. I would want someone who understood crime, the policing of it, and our society. The likes of John Prescott, who was putting himself forward somewhere or other, would not even make my 'long list' of possible candidates.
 
I look forward, with muted interest, to receiving my leaflet and discovering who my candidates are. I will consider the options most carefully and then, when it comes to the time to vote, I will make my mark with equal care :
 
NONE OF THE ABOVE, NOR ANYONE ELSE, THANKYOU !

No comments:

Post a Comment